Walt,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Walt Farrell <wfarr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> SSH private/public keys do not have appropriate management controls,
> however.  The Security Administrator can not expire them, nor control their
> strength, for example.
>
> I take your point, but I don't completely agree -

- With ACLs you can prohibit all but the Security Administrator the right to
add and remove keys from the ~.ssh/authorized_keys file.   This is the
approach that most *nix security audits recommend (not the abolishment of
public-private keys).

- The SSH public key *protocol* should not be confused with the Ported Tools
*implementation*.   Many *nix SSH users have pam modules, and/or have
implemented patches to the OpenSSH code that implement alternative keystores
such as hw and LDAP, smartcards, etc.   There's even a patch to OpenSSH (the
Roman Petrov patch) that adds X.509 support via OpenSSL, although it doesn't
comply over the wire with the RFC.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> A user can't patch the Ported Tools port of OpenSSH since source is not
available.   We have a restaurant in the Midwest where the chefs work behind
the counter, and their slogan is "In sight it must be right".
Closed-source security software should be considered an oxymoron, but this
is the wrong forum for that view :-)