David,

Correct - you can use REXX or a shell script to read the password from a
file or dataset.  You could do this for either FTPS or SSH.

For FTPS, there are pros and cons to using X.509 certificates vs
passwords.   Certificates are more "protected", but both partners have to
manage them and ideally they should be signed by a common CA and not
self-signed.   And if they are not stored in secure keystores on both sides,
then they aren't much more secure than passwords.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies