I was a DBA not a sysprog so I asked my sysprog to changed the JES exit to
support the specification of date and  time as part of the new output
dataset name.
This allows me to do such things as managing the deletion of obsolete
backups etc by dataset creation date and time instead of GDG generations.
The example JCL is given below :

//*****************************************************************
//*
//*  ASAV - SAVING DATABASE TO DISK WITH DATE AND TIME STAMP
//*
//*****************************************************************
//*
//ASAV PROC ENV=PROD,
//         DB=P00,
//         V=03,
//         SVC=1ST
// SET     D=D&LYYMMDD
// SET     T=T&LHHMMSS
//*
//ASAV   EXEC  PGM=ADARUN,REGION=6M
//STEPLIB  DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..V&V..LOAD,DISP=SHR
//DDASSOR1 DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..ASSO,DISP=OLD
//DDDATAR1 DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..DATA,DISP=OLD
//DDWORKR1 DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..WORK,DISP=OLD
//DDRLOGR1 DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..RLOG,DISP=SHR
//DDRLOGM1 DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..RLOGM,DISP=SHR
//DDSAVE1  DD  DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//*DDSAVE1  DD  DISP=(NEW,CATLG,CATLG),
//      DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..BK.&D..&T,
//      DATACLAS=MULTIVOL,
//      SPACE=(CYL,(1669,0417),RLSE),UNIT=SYSDA
//SYSUDUMP DD  SYSOUT=D
//DDDRUCK  DD  SYSOUT=*
//DDPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=*
//DDCARD   DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.COMMON.PARMS(RUNSAV),DISP=SHR
//         DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.&ENV..&DB..PARMS(RUNMULTI),DISP=SHR
//         DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.COMMON.PARMS(SVC&SVC),DISP=SHR
//DDKARTE  DD  DSN=SYS3.ADABAS.COMMON.PARMS(SAVEDB),DISP=SHR
This also allowed me to move datasets from disk to multi-file cart. by
running a SAS program through an IDCAMS output and generate the JCL to move
the selecteddatasets.

The short answer is YES it can be done in batch job not just sarted task.

Joseph Tan