Mark Zelden wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:50:37 +0200, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
> wrote:
>

>> By the way: is there any procedure to defrag HFS/ZFS ?
>> I mean some process similar to PDS compress or KSDS reorg.
>> Is there any need to do it?
>> How to measure it?
>>
>> Further explanation: I'm not talking about defragmentation o f volume
>> containing HFS dataset, rather about defragmentation of the dataset content.
>>
>> --
>>

> For HFS, it shouldn't be needed - similar to PDSE (assuming the files within
> the HFS aren't in use).   Pages from deleted files or index pages are
> can be reused after the last connection to the file has been terminated.
> See similr past discussions on PDSE (especially in the LNKLST) in the
> archives.
>
> For zFS, space is reused also.  I suggest you read the zFS admin guide and
> in particular the section on zFS disk space allocation that describes how
> system and user areas are allocated in the aggregate.
>
> Do you have a reason or evidence that makes you think you need to
> defrag / reorg an HFS or zFS?
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Zelden
> Sr. Software and Systems Architect - z/OS Team Lead
> Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group - ZFUS G-ITO
> mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com
> z/OS Systems Programming expert at http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/
> Mark's MVS Utilities: http://home.flash.net/~mzelden/mvsutil.html

We have a problem when a hfs/zfs grows to a huge size and since partial
release doesn't work on these files to recover the allocated but unused
space we have to perform a copy process to a new dataset.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

"The avalanche has already started.  It is too late for
the pebbles to vote."
-- Kosh, "Babylon 5"