From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Eric Bielefeld
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:48 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Copy/restore OMVS.ROOT - what about defrag?

To me, the problems with HFS and ZFS files seems to be a design flaw.
When I was at P&H Mining, we had the same problem.  The root file kept
growing - mostly I think because of logging activity.  The files were
kept for only a week and then automatically deleted, but the HFS file
just kept getting more extents.  It never made sense to me, when the
total amount of data wasn't groing..

Eric

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer