On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:55:15 -0500, Ron Wells <rwe...@agfinance.com> wrote:

>MVS use to be open..... It would not have gotten very far without the aid
>of others back in the 60's/70's early 80's--- Before Microsoft started
>it's lock down..
>
>and yes
>
>would be a big benefit having it open again ...

Possibly. But, from what little I know, most of the new stuff is written in
PL/S or whatever. It doesn't do much good to have source when you don't have
a compiler!

Part of the "lock down" occurred when IBM transitioned from a "pure"
hardware company (where software was only used to help sell hardware) to a
hardware + software company where software in itself became a source of
income. And the OEM CPU people may have been a part of it too since they
used IBM software (like OS/MVT) without the need for a license (due to IBM
overlooking copyrighting the OS).

Another part of OCO is to keep information away from users so that they
don't use non-GUPI interfaces in such a way as to force IBM to "freeze" that
interface due to its popularity.

--
John