2009/4/21 Martin Packer <martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com>:
> I'm not sure why this turned into another OCO debate, but attempting to
> return to Tim's original post:

Well, Tim's original post was about "What (More) Open Source Software
Do You Want for z/OS?". I can speak only for myself, but when I think
of open source software, I don't mean what IBM has mostly done with
things like the Ported Tools, which is to take open source software
and provide OCO versions for z/OS. What I expect is ported versions
*with source*. Without source, they're only shadows of their former
Open Source selves, that will atrophy unless kept up to date by IBM,
which has notably happened to a number of earlier ports to OCO. While
IBM has unquestionably contributed a huge amount to the open source
community, they have also done their fair share of closing off
existing open source code. IBM has on occasion even hidden such
activities behind the banner of open source, which leaves a bad taste.

Asking what open source software is wanted on z/OS, with the
likelihood that it's going to arrive OCO, is really just asking what
new function people want in z/OS. Which is a perfectly fine question,
of course, but the answers are likely to have rather a different
flavour.

Tony H.