>IFA705I HALT SMF PROCESS HAS SYNCHRONIZED THE BUFFERED LOGSTREAM
RECORDS.

I really like the suggestion in the books for this message <sarcasm off>, which
implies to use automation on a 'NOT synchronized' message, even after a z
eod. Strangely, z eod is only issued in this installation after *all* address
spaces are gone (well, those visible on a d a,l). So no automation. I realize
that this message is also issued for switch smf commands.

>that we discovered that IBM now stops SYSLOG at two points.  When either
>Z EOD is issued or when JES2 is stopped.

??? Why 'now'? It has always been this way, as far as I know. And it makes
sense, as the syslog write task in master doesn't have a recipient anymore
once JES is stopped. I have *never* seen any z eod command in any syslog I
looked at. They all stop after the $Pjes2.

And I really hated the problem that said 'JES did not come down via
automation, please check'. This was my excuse for having an operlog even on
the monoplexes, the only way to see messages issued after jes was down.

>I'm told that the Marketing Request approach causes IBM to poll it's user
>community and see how many accounts are affected.
Yeah, and if it's not enough customers, that's enough of an excuse for sloppy
development and a product broken as designed. (This is a general statement,
not directed specifically against SMF using Logger.) You will have to live with
the consequences or not use the function and go through some more
contortions!

Regards, Barbara Nitz