Do you mean to say that you go to DR without your HSM environment?
That's what Duplexing is for, besides protecting against the odd bad tape.

Dave O'Brien
NIH Contractor
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul
Gilmartin [paulgboul...@aim.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: ADRDSSU protection [was:RE: Using FTP to send loadlib]

On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:31:43 +0200, R.S. wrote:

>Roach, Dennis (N-GHG) pisze:
>> As a sysprog, I agree.
>>
>> For the applprog, verify what happens when a data set is on ML1 or ML2
>> and a masked include is used. DSS used to skip these and still have a
>> zero return code. This caused the application source to be left off of
>> their DR tapes.
>
>This is well-know and documented behavior. We shouldn't assume, that
>applprog is less intelligent than sysprog.
>And this "gotcha" is no justification to for denying ADRDSSU at all.
>Applprogs (everyone) can make mistake without ADRDSSU as well.
>Applprogs are probably  allowed to use many tools which they don't know
>well.

What, then, should one use to create a complete copy of one's data
such as might be needed for disaster recovery?

I could imagine a hirearchy of Requirements for dealing with this:

o An option to set nonzero return code when a data set is so skipped.

o An option to force recall of migrated data sets when needed.

o A similar option with an enhancement; a side door to  HSM so
  data could be moved directly from ML[12] to the backup medium,
  avoiding the double I/O otherwise necessary.  But that's the
  edge of a slippery slope; others could imagine the need for
  infrequent access to specific migrated data for which the
  overhead of recall and re-migrate appears onerous.

-- gil