At the shop I was with at that time, yes.
O/S provided a running system with empty TMC, HSM, and catalogs.
Applications were responsible for their own DR plan and were required to
be recovered on ANY compatible MVS system.

At my current shop, a copy of every DASD volume and virtual tape volume
goes offsite.

Dennis Roach
GHG Corporation
Lockheed Martin Mission Services
Flight Design and Operations Contract
NASA/JSC
Address:
   2100 Space Park Drive
   LM-15-4BH
   Houston, Texas 77058
Mail:
   P.O. Box 58487
   Mail Code H4C
   Houston, Texas 77258
Phone:
   Voice:  (281)336-5027
   Cell:   (713)591-1059
   Fax:    (281)336-5410
E-Mail:  dennis.ro...@lmco.com

All opinions expressed by me are mine and may not agree with my employer
or any person, company, or thing, living or dead, on or near this or any
other planet, moon, asteroid, or other spatial object, natural or
manufactured, since the beginning of time.

Of