Rogers

On the face of it, if you want the mode table entry name to be used for your
printer session to be DSC2K, you will need to specify the TELNETDEVICE
statement as

TELNETDEVICE ,DSC2K

If you check the manual, you will see you have specified your "dsc2k" in the
first position not the second. The first position is used only for TN3270 -
without the "E" - which is ignored in the case of a printer.

The mode table entry name you will be trying to use is the default for a
printer
session associated with a TN3270E connection, D6328904.

This would normally mean that the fact that you have specified
DLOGMOD=DSC2K is irrelevant since you have not specified
TELNETDEVICE ,NONE which would be required in order to delay selection of
the mode table entry to when VTAM processes the session setup request with
a blank mode table entry name in the session setup request.

But this would apply only when the session was initiated from the TN3270E
server.

You will see that I was obliged to pause and recall that, since you are using a
CICS ACQUIRE command the session setup request originates from CICS not
the TN3270E server. This should mean that the mode table entry name is
expected to be present in the CINIT request - albeit an internal one - and
supplied by CICS, the primary LU. However, if CICS does not supply a mode
table entry name, the CINIT will contain blanks and the mode table entry
name will be selected by the SSCP (VTAM) responsible for the secondary LU,
the TN3270E server. This will, in fact be the value specified by the DLOGMOD
operand, DSC2K.

So, actually DLOGMOD=DSC2K is appropriate with the CICS ACQUIRE command
and it is the TELNETDEVICE statement - as a whole - which is irrelevant.

Did you already know that and so I've written all that just to sort out my own
thinking!?

-

I prepared what follows before noticing what I thought might be a possible
error in your definitions and decided to write the above.

-

The following are three examples of TN3270E printer support negotiation taken
from RFC 2355:

<quote>

The following example shows a TN3270E-capable server and a TN3270E-
capable client establishing a printer session where the client requests a
specific device-name, and where some amount of 3270 function negotiation is
required before an agreement is reached:

        Server:  IAC DO TN3270E
        Client:  IAC WILL TN3270E
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E SEND DEVICE-TYPE IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE REQUEST IBM-3287-1 CONNECT
myprt IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE IS IBM-3287-1 CONNECT myprt
IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST DATA-STREAM-CTL IAC
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST DATA-STREAM-CTL
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST DATA-STREAM-CTL IAC
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS IS DATA-STREAM-CTL IAC SE

           (3270 data stream is exchanged)

The following example shows a TN3270E-capable server and a TN3270E-
capable client establishing first a specific terminal session, then a printer
session where the "partner" printer for the assigned terminal is requested:

        Server:  IAC DO TN3270E
        Client:  IAC WILL TN3270E
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E SEND DEVICE-TYPE IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE REQUEST IBM-3278-2 CONNECT
termxyz IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE IS IBM-3278-2 CONNECT
termxyz IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST RESPONSES IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS IS RESPONSES IAC SE
           (3270 data stream is exchanged)
             .            .
             .            .
           (user decides to request a printer session,
            so client again connects to Telnet port on server)
        Server:  IAC DO TN3270E
        Client:  IAC WILL TN3270E
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E SEND DEVICE-TYPE IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE REQUEST IBM-3287-1
ASSOCIATE termxyz IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE IS IBM-3287-1 CONNECT
termxyz's-prt IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST SCS-CTL-CODES
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS IS SCS-CTL-CODES RESPONSES
IAC SE
           (3270 data stream is exchanged)

The following example shows a TN3270E-capable server and a TN3270E-
capable client establishing first a terminal session where a resource-name was
requested and a server chosen device-name was returned, then a printer
session where the "partner" printer for the assigned terminal is requested:

        Server:  IAC DO TN3270E
        Client:  IAC WILL TN3270E
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E SEND DEVICE-TYPE IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE REQUEST IBM-3278-5 CONNECT
poolxyz IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE IS IBM-3278-5 CONNECT terma
IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST RESPONSES IAC SE

        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS IS RESPONSES IAC SE
           (3270 data stream is exchanged)
             .            .
             .            .
           (user decides to request a printer session,
            so client again connects to Telnet port on server)
        Server:  IAC DO TN3270E
        Client:  IAC WILL TN3270E
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E SEND DEVICE-TYPE IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE REQUEST IBM-3287-1
ASSOCIATE terma IAC SE
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E DEVICE-TYPE IS IBM-3287-1 CONNECT
terma's-prt IAC SE
        Client:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS REQUEST SCS-CTL-CODES
        Server:  IAC SB TN3270E FUNCTIONS IS SCS-CTL-CODES RESPONSES
IAC SE
           (3270 data stream is exchanged)

</quote>

Which of these scenarios applies to your case? I'm guessing example 1
and "myprt" is XS128PTS.

I'm afraid I have not actually set up a TN3270E connection involving a printer
but I am fascinated to know how this TN3270E (RFC 2355) function translates
to real life - such as, as in your case, a printer driven by CICS.

Thus all I can do is assist a little with what I can work out from the RFC -
and
the VTAM information - but that's not very illuminating; sense 0801 0000,
resource not available, with return code (RTNCD-FDB2) 16 (X'10') - 1 (X'01'),
OPNDST failed, is pretty useless.

The impression I get from TN3270E support for printers is that you need to
establish a TN3270E connection from the TN3270E client to the TN3270E
server on behalf of the printer - however that is done using the TN3270E
client - your Attachmate. You appear to have got this far.

In addition to the status in the TN3270E client, there should now be some
TN3270 display command which confirms that the TN3270E server has also
noticed the connection and, following the TN3270E negotiation, has, in effect,
reserved the APPL statement with name XS128PTS for a session to be
concatenated with your TN3270E connection.

I'm assuming you are trying all this for the first time. That being so, I would
try to get the printer session/connection running with minimal definitions.
Thus
I suggest clearing out all your BEGINVTAM/ENDVTAM statements except for
PORT. However, I think you will need to mention XS128PTS somewhere and so
you will need to add the following:

DEFAULTPRTSPEC XS128PTS ENDDEFAULTPRTSPEC

This isn't entirely logical but it should end up doing what you want. You can
then work through how the TN3270E negotiation with a *specific* printer
name works - once you have assured yourself that the CICS ACQUIRE can tie
up with a pending TN3270E printer connection.

Do let us know how you get on.

Incidentally, questions involving the Communications Server IP component are
very often asked on the IBMTCP-L list for preference. I'm afraid I can't recall
whether or not you participate there - getting old ...

Chris Mason

On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:05:45 -0500, Laine, Rogers
<rla...@whitneybank.com> wrote:

>From an Attachmate Extra session defined as a TN3270 printer, I am able
>to connect to the luname XS128PTS. The session state of the session in
>Extra displays
>as 'Active and not bound'. When an acquire is attempted from CICS, the
>below message is generated in the MSGUSR log. A network analyzer shows
>that no
>network traffic is generated by the acquire.
>Can you explain what is going wrong with this printer?
>
>VTAM APPL Definition:
>XS128PTS APPL
>AUTH=
(ACQ),EAS=1,PARSESS=NO,SESSLIM=YES,MODETAB=WNBMODE1,DLOGMOD=DS
C2K,E