From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Chris Mason
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 9:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: CICS TN3270 Printer Question

Rogers

I'm looking further into this - actually taking the time to read the
manual!

Ideally somebody who has actually done this would respond but, meantime,
let's see what can be done.

-

>From what you said before I assumed you had provided the specific name
XS128PTS in the definitions set up in your TN3270E client. If this is
not the case, you will need to use

DEFAULTPRT XS128PTS ENDDEFAULTPRT

in order to have the "printer" connection select LU name XS128PTS in the
basic testing setup I proposed.

-

It may be that you shouldn't need to use the CICS ACQUIRE process in
order to initiate the "printer" session. As far as CICS is concerned,
you could have the "printer" itself initiate the session. In terms of
the SNA flow involved, this would be similar to the use of the LOGAPPL
operand of the APPL, LOCAL or LU statement representing the secondary
LU.

A "printer" does *not* use the DEFAULTAPPL statement in order to
initiate the "printer" session. The text following "DEFAULTAPPL:" in the
Communications Server IP Configuration Guide states "The DEFAULTAPPL
statement applies only to terminal emulators connecting in TN3270,
TN3270E, or DBCSTRANSFORM mode." In the days before TN3270E and printer
support, TN3270 supported only logical display devices and described
them as "terminals". With the introduction of printer support,
descriptions continue confusingly to use the term "terminal" in order to
indicate a logical *display* device.

A "printer" uses the PRTDEFAULTAPPL statement in order to initiate the
"printer" session which is necessarily using TN3270E TELNET negotiation.

Thus I suggest you could try using the statement

PRTDEFAULTAPPL CICSPEGQ

if you are using the simplified test setup I proposed.

Alternatively, you could "go for broke" and try stitching

PRTDEFAULTAPPL CICSPEGQ IPPEGQ

into the definitions you posted.

Either of these should cause your "printer" connection to concatenate to
a session with CICS at the time you make the TN3270E client connection
and you will not actually need to use the CICS ACQUIRE command.

If the TN3270E server initiates the session as I indicate here, it is
now important that the mode table entry name is correctly specified in
the TN3270E server definitions using the TELNETDEVICE statement:

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 ,DSC2K

If you are very keen instead to use the DLOGMOD operand of the APPL
statement, you could specify the following:

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 ,NONE

Note that, if you continue to have problems, you should post any error
messages from the two components in this configuration from which you
did not mention any information in your initial post. These two
components are the TN3270 server and VTAM. If there are any messages at
the time you issue the CICS ACQUIRE command or, using the definitions I
have just proposed, at the time you make your TN3270E "printer"
connection, you should post these.
In addition, any status display information from any of the components,
"before" and "after", should be posted.

Incidentally, if you decide to use the mechanism implied by the
PRTDEFAULTAPPL statement - and get it to work of course, you will not
need
AUTH=(ACQ) to be specified on the APPL statement. It will do no harm to
be left in place but would contribute to "good documentation" if it were
removed.
It would also serve not to confuse anyone trying to make sense of your
definitions should you happen not to be available to explain them - a
lot of that going on these days!

-

Please let us know how you get on.

-

A final point for now: I see you are using a mode table entry which
suggests that you want to use LU type 3. Using LU type 1 for "printer"
sessions is generally more efficient.

Note that I am assuming, despite the fact that you have specified the
MODETAB operand on your APPL statement which names a "private" mode
table, you are, in fact, using the mode table entry specified in the
mode table supplied by VTAM and always available, ISTINCLM.

If you do decide to use LU type 1 with a mode table entry such as "SCS"
and the system running CICS is not the same one running the TN3270E
server, you may want to improve flow by taking care of the "pacing"
values. This is where your "private" mode table could become useful.

-

Chris Mason

On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:05:45 -0500, Laine, Rogers
<rla...@whitneybank.com> wrote:

>From an Attachmate Extra session defined as a TN3270 printer, I am able

>to connect to the luname XS128PTS. The session state of the session in
>Extra displays as 'Active and not bound'. When an acquire is attempted
>from CICS, the below message is generated in the MSGUSR log. A network
>analyzer shows that no network traffic is generated by the acquire.
>Can you explain what is going wrong with this printer?
>
>VTAM APPL Definition:
>XS128PTS APPL
>AUTH=
(ACQ),EAS=1,PARSESS=NO,SESSLIM=YES,MODETAB=WNBMODE1,DLOGMOD=DS
C2K,E
>NCR=NONE
>
>CICS Printer definition:
>  OBJECT CHARACTERISTICS                                    CICS
RELEASE

email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html