Richard Peurifoy wrote:
George Rodriguez wrote:
From all the responses that I've gotten, it seems a product is "highly"
recommended. To answer some of the questions asked or implied ... No I
have not exceed the alias limit ... in fact there will only be 15 alias'
defined after all is said and done. The original catalog was defined
only with a primary space or 230 tracks (no secondary allocation). I do
have a window already scheduled for 7:00 am Sunday morning.

Yes, after all is said and done, I will run an examine to make sure
everything is ok...

I don't have a "product", so I do this with IDCAMS. I have never
had a problem.

You should check Managing catalogs

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/dgt2c160.pdf.

If you want to re-org the catalog do something like this
(note this is from memory, you should verify this):

//CATREORG JOB
//*
//REORG   EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//*
//OUT       DD DSN=unload.name,
//             UNIT=SYSDA,
//             SPACE=(
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG)
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN     DD *

 ALTER  CATALOG.catname LOCK
  /* */
 IF MAXCC = 0 THEN +
 EXPORT catname -
        OUTFILE(OUT) -
        TEMPORARY
  /* */
 IF MAXCC = 0 THEN +
 IMPORT INFILE(OUT) -
        OUTDATASET(catname) -
        ALIAS    -
        CATALOG(mstcat)
  /* */
 IF MAXCC = 0 THEN +
 ALTER  CATALOG.catname UNLOCK

If you want to make the catalog bigger, you need to delete
reallocate it in the middle ot this.

1. ALTER catdsname LOCK
2. EXPORT catdsname OUTFILE(EXPDD) TEMPORARY
3. DELETE catdsname RECOVERY USERCATALOG
4. DEFINE USERCATALOG (many parameters)
5. IMPORT INDATASET(backupdsn) OUTDATASET(catdsname) ALIAS UNLOCK
INTOEMPTY

WARNING  PRIVLEDGED TASK CAN BYPASS LOCK
You may want to review IBM info APAR II13354 on moving catalogs.

I forgot to mention that you should use diagnose and examine
on the old catalog before you start to make sure there are
no existing problems.

--
Richard