Eric Bielefeld wrote:
I was trying to find my CD with FDR, and I found it, but its too hard finding anything with a PDF file. I thought I read something in the book about reorging catalogs with Compactor, but its been a long time since I read about that, and I don't really remember what it does and doesn't do. I don't remember if FDR has their books on their web site, or if you have to own the product to access them. I know I always used the paper manual, which I could always find what I wanted.

Probably what you are thinking of is that when compacting there
was an option to reorg the VTOC so that all the unused DSCB's
were at the end. I think the intent was to speed up VTOC searches,
but it actually slowed most down, because usually the DSCB TTR
was in the catalog entry, and after being reorg'd, they were wrong.
This would eventually be corrected, because the system will recatalog
datasets with bad DSCB TTR pointers.

The compactor manual now recommends against reorging the VTOC.
Of course if you are moving the VTOC this doesn't apply as the
TTR's will be wrong anyway.

I don't recall any option to reorg a CATALOG.

--
Richard