Rogers

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad you've got this working and presumably in a manner which is better
operationally than having to use the CICS ACQUIRE command.

The only shame is that we won't now know what it was that prevented your
CICS ACQUIRE command from working.

In fact you have not quite got the definitions precisely as you - or the VTAM
systems programmer - thought you had them! There is a missing comma!

If you look at my earlier posts, you will see that I suggested that the
TELNETDEVICE statement should be either

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 ,DSC2K

or

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 ,NONE

In principle, the comma matters although, in practice, the difference is so
small as to be negligible.

If you take a really close look at "Table 29. Device type and logmode table" in
the description of the TELNETDEVICE statement in the Communications Server
IP Configuration Reference manual, you will see that the row for "device type"
code IBM-3287-1 reads as follows:

IBM-3287-1   Not applicable   D6328904

The TELNETDEVICE statement can be specified in one of three ways:

TELNETDEVICE telnet_device_type tn3270_logmode,tn3270e_logmode
TELNETDEVICE telnet_device_type tn3270_logmode
TELNETDEVICE telnet_device_type               ,tn3270e_logmode

The third token is a parameter which provides the names of mode table
entries, aka "logmodes". It consists of two subparameters:

The first subparameter is the name used when the TN3270E parameter
specifies NOTN3270E and so does not even attempt to persuade the TN3270
client to enter into TN3270E mode - or - when the server does try to
persuade the TN3270 client to enter into TN3270E mode with "IAC DO
TN3270E", the client responds with "IAC WON'T TN3270E".[1]

The second subparameter is the name used when the TN3270E parameter
specifies TN3270E, the default, and so tries to persuade the TN3270 client to
enter into TN3270E mode with "IAC DO TN3270E" and the client responds
with "IAC WILL TN3270E".[1]

Printer support requires that TN3270E mode has been agreed between the
server and the client and so, for the TELNETDEVICE statement for "device
type" code IBM-3287-1, the first subparameter is *never* used. Thus you can
specify one of the following:

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 throw,name
or
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 ,name

The specification

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 name

is pointless!

The way the TELNETDEVICE statement works is that the mode table entry
names for all the "device type" codes can be imagined as being set up in
storage as an array with the rows corresponding to the "device type" codes to
be followed by two columns, one for pre-RFC 1647 (the predecessor to RFC
2355) TN3270 mode and one for TN3270E mode. It is initialised with all the
names as shown in Table 29. Then the TN3270 server reads the
TELNETDEVICE statements, if any, and replaces the default names with the
names specified.

To the above discussion we must add the "exception" that, where the mode
table entry name is given as "NONE", it is understood to be 8 blank characters
thus allowing the selection of the mode table entry name to be left to the
VTAM acting as the SSCP owning the secondary LU - represented by the
TN3270 APPL statement, the first selection being the name given as the value
of the DLOGMOD operand.

The developers of the product clearly imagined that no VTAM systems
programmer would ever have a reason to specify NONE as a mode table entry
name!

You have specified

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3287-1 NONE

which means that the mode table entry name used is the default value in the
TN3270E "column", D6328904. This happens to differ hardly at all from the
mode table entry you thought you had specified, DSC2K - because you
thought you had specified "NONE" in the TELNETDEVICE statement for IBM-
3287-1 and hence you thought the value of the DLOGMOD operand on the
APPL statement would be used.

In saying that the difference between DSC2K and D6328904 is very small, I am
assuming that you are using the DSC2K entry from the IBM-supplied mode
table ISTINCLM. However, you do have a private mode table, WNBMODE1,
specified by the MODETAB operand of the APPL statement. If you have
modified the DSC2K entry in some way which is important for you and stored
the modified version in WNBMODE1, you will be missing the benefit of that
modification.

You will be able to check which mode table entry is in use by using the
DISPLAY NET,ID=XS128PTS,E command. You should look for what should be
the penultimate line with identifier IST635I. This has a 16 hexadecimal digit
session identifier value. You should "copy" this and "paste" it at the end of
the
command D NET,SESSIONS,SID=. You will see in the line with identifier
IST933I the name of the mode table entry you are using.

I predict D6328904.

-

Incidentally, I see you are using a presumably locally invented port number
6623. I hope you are aware of a technique which would allow you to use the
traditional port number 23 for your 3270 TELNET, TN3270, as well as for UNIX
Systems Services TELNET, OTELNETD. If you are and you'd like to know how,
please post again.

Chris Mason

[1] See RFC 2355.