John

Yes, it's confusing but then it's IBM!

The DYNAMICXCF parameter of the IPCONFIG statement was originally set up
as a way of creating an interface connected to a sort of "LAN switch"
managed by the sysplex logic so that an interface in a Communications Server
(CS) IP instance in one sysplex member LPAR can connect to a CS IP instance
in another sysplex member LPAR using just one IP address per instance.
However it has been extended to cover two other situations:

1. Interfaces to connect a CS IP instance to another CS IP instance running
within the same LPAR (IUTSAMEH)[1]
2. Interfaces to connect a CS IP instance running within the one LPAR to
another CS IP instance running within another LPAR within the same physical
machine aka Central Electronic Complex (CEC) (HiperSockets)

In neither of these cases is the "XCF" part of the name "DYNAMICXCF"
relevant, hence the confusion.

Continuing with the "LAN switch" concept: in 1 the "switch" is managed by the
CS IP instances working together with the z/OS image within the LPAR; in 2
the "switch" is managed by the HiperSockets logic.

You can confirm the various uses of the DYNAMICXCF parameter of the
IPCONFIG statement in the following CS IP Configuration Guide sections:

- "HiperSockets concepts and connectivity" in Chapter 2, "IP configuration
overview"

- "Dynamic XCF" in Chapter 8, "TCP/IP in a sysplex"

You should go carefully through the whole of the second reference in order to
find examples of exactly what the DYNAMICXCF parameter of the IPCONFIG
statement does in various configurations. It is only at the end of this section
that HiperSockets is covered.

-

The CS SNA component, that is VTAM, has remained true to the strict
meaning of XCF, as it were, since allows for the automatic creation of
connections only within a sysplex.

Thus, in order to get the benefit of HiperSockets, you are obliged to set up
SNA connections using Enterprise Extender definitions.

Chris Mason

[1] Actually this may not have been so much an "extension" as also having
been provided originally. Perhaps some alert participant can confirm or deny
this.