On Friday 29 May 2009 16:12, Bill Washburn wrote:

> Does anyone have a reasonably good idea of

I'm not sure my opinion is "reasonable"

> a) how many active VSE shops there are worldwide?

thousands, but probably fewer now than there were last year

> b) how many VSE shops have any RPGII code in production?

based on my experience, something like 10%, but I don't really know.

I was involved in over 100 VSE-to-MVS conversions and my recollection is that
only a few customers (perhaps 10%) used RPG. Some of them used RPG a lot !

I learned RPG in 1969 and wrote RPG programs until 1974.  RPG was designed for
punch-cards, and like DYL260, requires programmers to write code in specific
columns.  Not really convenient when programmers use 3270-type terminals
instead of card-punch machines.  I think there is half-a-dozen RPG-to-COBOL
conversion tools Iin case you're interested).

http://gsf-soft.com/Documents/RPG-ZOS.shtml

--
 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software