-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 7:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: VSE & RPG question

At 09:35 -0400 on 06/01/2009, Thompson, Steve wrote about Re: VSE &
RPG question:

<SNIPPAGE>
>[snip of my comment about using auto-tabbing
>
>And you are going to change your edit macro (or have it smart enough to
>handle...) as you need to enter/update F/E/L/I/C/O/** specs?  (If you
>don't know RPG, you won't recognize "**").
>
>BTDT, and it sucks.

I may be misunderstanding you but I fail to see how the need for
DISPLAY Highlighting has anything to do with getting the text
contents into the correct columns (which was the original complaint
that I was responding to).
<SNIP>

Yes, you are misunderstanding. I worked with SPF long before ISPF and
with RPG on VS1 and MVS. Trying to set tabs to handle the different
fields for a CALC spec (or pick your favorite) is one thing. But trying
to get the edit macro(s) to automatically recognize that you have moved
from File spec (F) to Input spec (I) all the way to array/table
definitions without having hit enter just ain't gonna happen -- Because
you would have to hit enter after putting in the spec byte (H/F/E/L/I
etc.) so the editor would understand the rest of the statement.

And then the attribute bytes needed for tabbing will get in the way.

I've also used terminals that allowed for the setting of tab points that
were not 3270 attributes. RPG is too complicated for them as well.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --