Thanks Mike

Follow up question.

In IDCAMS it states that readcompat should only be set for private
volumes.

Is there any harm in setting it for scratch volumes too?

It would make the transition easier because we wouldn't have to extract
just the private volumes to alter.

SPECIALATTRIBUTE{READCOMPATIBLE|NONE}
Shows special attributes of the tape volume.
Use this parameter only for private tape volumes.
Scratch tape volumes default to NONE.
READCOMPATIBLE On subsequent allocations, read compatible devices for
allocation of this tape volume are used.
NONE There are no special tape attributes.

Thanks
Ken