John

> Is it possible to get contact information for your customer that successfully
set this up?

There's no point. When I said "we", I was supporting the principle that it was
a joint effort given that the nature of the engagement was "best efforts"
rather than "performance". However I have been responsible for all the
technical input to the project. Supersession was working before the project, it
continued working as each VTAM was enhanced with fully considered APPN
definitions and finally had subarea definitions removed. It lacks now only a
final change of one VTAM in one of the production sysplexes from being a
Network Node to an End Node which depends on some channel-to-channel
definitions being put in place.

So you see this has nothing to do with Supersession, which is SNA/VTAM
business-as-usual, but everything to do with understanding the topic and
planning - as I said before.

Another reason my precise customer experience may not be suitable is that
you are involved with retiring your 3745s whereas my customer had already
done that and, when I came on the scene, has a rather untidy mix of subarea
and APPN - the latter caused by having added a few more VTAMs to the
subarea, now ICN, VTAMs. If something worked, fine, if not, "tant pis", they
were lucky - that word again! - there were no showstoppers.

> I would like to get our VTAM systems programmer to work with your
customer if possible.

I always find it better to talk directly to the person who is experiencing the
problem. Shouldn't it be your "VTAM systems programmer" who is making the
posts?

> ... but now he is struggling with CL/Supersession.

It might be best if each specific problem is presented, sense codes and all[1].

> Do you remember if you had to convert all the APPLIDs to use APPC=YES?

This somewhat shatters the presumption that you - or your "VTAM systems
programmer" - has the education necessary to undertake the task even of
maintaining the current subarea network. I detect a case of precipitate
[2] "letting go" here.

The purpose of APPC=YES is to authorize the use of an API provided by VTAM
which goes some way to implementing the functions which should be provided
by a full implementation of LU type 6.2. In specific terms it enables the use
of
the APPCCMD macros which can be found documented in the Communications
Server (CS) SNA Programmer's LU 6.2 Guide and CS SNA Programmer's LU 6.2
Reference.

It would be wrong to say that there is no connection between LU 6.2 and
APPN. Because of its ancestry APPN, more specifically Low Entry Networking
(LEN) from which APPN evolved, is most comfortable with LU type 6.2 sessions
but APPN has provision for LU types which are not LU type 6.2. APPN employs
LU type 6.2 for the LU to LU sessions which APPN uses for the services it
provides.

You know you need to define APPC=YES when the documentation for the
application says you need to use it. It will be because the application uses
the
VTAM APPCCMD API. You do not specify APPC=YES for any other reason.

Also, in order to prevent another possible trap: you do not necessarily need to
specify APPC=YES whenever you know an application uses LU type 6.2. The
most famous example of an application subsystem which supports LU type 6.2
but does not use the APPCCMD API is CICS. In effect, the APPL statement for
CICS uses the specification APPC=NO!

I wondered if you could do any harm by specifying APPC=YES. Probably not. If
APPC=YES is specified, the default value for the PARSESS operand changes. If
I thought long and hard about this I might be able to work out that it could
cause mischief.

Incidentally, should you take a look at the table of contents in the CS SNA
Programmer's LU 6.2 Guide manual, you'll find a section entitled "VTAM as a
session manager". No, it's still got nothing to do with Supersession!

> Since we didn't define anything in ISTAPNCP it can't locate the APPLID.

This is probably the most obvious indication that neither you nor your "VTAM
systems programmer" have prepared yourselves for the task of enabling APPN
in your VTAMs. It is not for a user to define anything in ISTAPNCP. VTAM
defines ISTAPNCP in the following terms, taken from the first "hit" for
ISTAPNCP in the CS SNA Resource Definition Reference manual:

<quote>

ISTAPNCP is a generic representation for an APPN CDRM.

</quote>

What ISTAPNCP does is provide a placeholder where VTAM knows it should
switch from using subarea session setup procedures in conjunction with other
VTAMs in the subarea network to use APPN session setup procedures when
routing the request which is used to initiate sessions, generally referred to
as
*searching*. If the attempt to set up the session starting from within what
this VTAM views as the APPN network, the process can continue with
additional other VTAMs in the subarea network. The SORDER start option is
particularly important in determining where the ISTAPNCP placeholder is
positioned in whatever list of other VTAMs in the subarea network is
developed in order to support the session setup process.

Clearly you can read on from here in the CS SNA Network Implementation
Guide and the CS SNA Resource Definition Reference for the details.

It's conceivable you may need extra help. If so, please post what you
observe, especially as reported by the VTAM which owns the resource which
is attempting to initiate the session. For example, a group of messages
starting with IST663I and ending with IST314I can often be found.

You should be aware of the following also with regard to ISTAPNCP from the
CS SNA Network Implementation Guide:

<quote>

Resources automatically activated by VTAM

Certain internally maintained resources are automatically activated by VTAM
when the message “VTAM INITIALIZATION COMPLETE” is issued. These
resources can be displayed, but cannot be activated or deactivated by an
operator. The following resources are automatically activated:

- ...
- VTAMSEG application program major node:
-- ...
-- ISTAPNCP
-- ...
- ...

</quote>

You can ignore this manifestation of ISTAPNCP.

Useful background which I think you probably need in order to prepare yourself
for enabling APPN in VTAM is contained in the following two redbooks:

I expect you - and your "VTAM systems programmer" - will need most of the
first volume and maybe some of the second depending on how adventurous
you become!

Chris Mason

[1] If that appears to have the echo of a well-known phrase, it's intentional!

[2] I had another word in mind originally but, bearing in mind this is a public
forum, for diplomatic reasons, I have watered it down!