On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:40:08 -0400, Clark, Kevin
<kevin.cl...@bcbsde.com> wrote:

>I would go with setting up Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms on
your
>CISCO router, if FTP traffic is impacting your interactive workload.

However, you should not ignore what John McKown said.  Look at
the Policy Agent's QoS policy.  In particular, look at the Differentiated
Services policies.  It is pretty tough going but gets you where you
need to go.  I had to fight my way through it about 7 or 8 years ago
but it did a good job of throttling our FTPs without hurting anything
else.

Policy Agent was a very different animal back then.  I think the
definitions have changed since then but the concepts have not.

Google "Token Bucket Policing".  That is the concept implemented
by the Policy Agent's Differentiated Services policies.  (And have
thqt headache medicine handy.)

Pat O'Keefe