On Friday 12 June 2009, Vikesh Bhoola wrote:
> > What I have working is the version in the unix directory, built
> > under USS as a Unix executable.
>
> Thanks Bob, it is disappointing, but at least that explains the
> differences I was seeing.
>
> We don't have gmake installed, and so with make -f /unix/Makefile &
> Configure does not compile successfully by me. Just tried to get
> gmake, however it is not available on z/OS Unix Tools and Toys page
> for download.

    Ahem....

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/library/IBM+Redbooks/index.html#gmake

> > But these won't help you build a zip load module into an MVS PDS
> > with the makefiles in cmsmvs, so it's back to the drawing board
> > forthat one.
>
> This is a issue, as we really don't have the additional space to copy
> the 14GB MVS file to USS just to zip it.

    I was able to create a 5GB file during off-hours last night to test
with, and it works. (It's really impressive how compactly a 5GB file of
nothing but binary zeros compresses!)

    The patch isn't quite ready for Prime Time, there's a bug in how it
displays the "adding:  bigfile ..." message, which comes out
as "adding: ÂÑÅÃÑ%Á ...". Duh!

> > I don't know when I'll have a chance to look at those.

    Keep following the discussions on the Info-ZIP forums. In the
thread "zip tools for X/OS USS" Lutz has just uploaded a new patch
file - I haven't had a chance to check it out, but he does appear to be
building the mvs.mki makefile as well as the regular Unix version.

    I need to get in sync with what he's doing as soon as I have time. I
can't get mvs.mki to compile - I get a bogus error on cmsmvs.c at line
164:

> ERROR CCN3282 ./../cmsmvs/cmsmvs.c:164   The type of the parameters
> must be spec ified in a prototype.

    I have to get it to build at all before I can try forcing the
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT into it.

    The good news is the the mvs.mki makefile for unzip 6.0 builds just
fine for me with both the HFS and native MVS targets, so fixing that
should be much more straightforward. But, of course, it doesn't help
you much till we can get zip fixed. :-(

> We would really appreciate it if you do get a chance or anybody else
> does get this working, please could you keep me in mind.

    Certainly.

Cheers,
Bob