Bob,  No it cannot.
Whether you run with or without VERIFY it uses the live CDS and live catalogs.
When using VERIFY - nothing is changed, so there is no need to run on a copy.

Review the messages issued and through those determine whether its your
catalogs that are wrong or rmm. If it is rmm - run CATSYNCH, else use the
messages to determined which catalog entries need added.
rmm will never touch the catalogs during this.  If you dont like the results of
CATSYNCH and are using OPTION CATSYSID(*), you can run EDGUTIL UPDATE
with SYSIN statement ' CONTROL CATSYNCH(NO)' and rmm continues using
catalog locates.

Mike Wood   RMM Development