On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:43:18 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:42:55 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:17:19 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>>
>>>Isn't there an option to cause catalog errors to ABEND or at least
>>>cause bad RC from the step?  (But this frustrates the OP's apparent
>>>intent to make the JCL reusable.)
>>
>>There is.  Or was.  IIRC it was a simple USERMOD.  It is not needed for
>>SMS-managed data sets.
>>
>Would this (PARMLIB option) have caused an error for:
>
>    IEF287I   user.TSTPRB.COMPILE.OUTPUT      NOT RECTLGD 2
>
>... ?

I think so.  Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to test it.

BTW, if the intent of the MOD,CATLG was to make the JCL reusable, it relies
upon the data set that is being used this way having the correct
characteristics.  If there is a chance that the data set that exists by that
name has different characteristics, then the existing data set must first be
deleted.  In this case the error was caused because the existing data set
was sequential when PO was needed.  There could also have been errors if,
e.g., FB 80 was desired but the data set was VB or a different LRECL.  In
any of these cases, a MOD,DELETE step followed by a NEW,CATLG would be
preferable.

--
Tom Marchant