Personnaly, I clone with FDR full-volume copy, not by data set.   Works much
better.  Of course, I don't keep any OMVS or VSAM files on my source (or
staging) sysres volumes so these type of problems are avoided.   I have just
one job that clones to a new sysres, makes new copies of the system OMVS
data sets (in their own SMS pool) and creates a SMP/E target zone on the
target for the new target sysres.

I know OMVS files no longer HAVE to be SMS controlled but IMO things are
easier if they are.

Guy Gardoit
z/OS Systems Programming