Jim

> Is there any replacement function for Anynet SNA over TCPIP.

Jim Wangler's response was incorrect only in the last character. There is no
need for a question mark. Enterprise Extender is the excuse to remove the
AnyNet SNA over IP function. Regrettably there is no replacement for the
brilliant AnyNet Sockets over SNA function.

I could even add that Allan's response was also suspect only in that it was
prefixed with AKAIK. It should be AFAAK, "as far as anybody knows"!

Ernie's response needs some adjustment.

There are a number of platforms where you can install Enterprise Extender
precisely to replace AnyNet SNA over IP. I believe the list is as follows:

IBM z/OS Communications Server SNA component (VTAM)
IBM Communications Server for Linux on zSeries
IBM Communications Server for Linux
IBM Communications Server for AIX
IBM Communications Server for Windows
Microsoft Host Integration Server
Cisco SNA Switch

You'll note that you can cater for "mainframe" with either of the first two
products in the list.

So, if you can adjust your current AnyNet SNA over IP configuration to pair up
two of the above, your home - I'd better hold back on the "free"!

Mention of TCP62 raises an alarm. There is a most dreadfully distorted manual
entitled "CICS Universal Client V7.0 Migrating an SNA connection from TCP62
to Enterprise Extender" (GC34-6889-00). It has a very confused structure
starting with the title which would be better as "Migrating an SNA connection
from TCP62 to Remote API Client".

Compare Figures 1, 2 and 3.

- Figure 1 is a configuration which uses MPTN[1] SNA over IP architecture
with some CICS-inspired implementation called TCP62 in Windows and AnyNet
SNA over IP in VTAM supporting CICS.

- Figure 2 is a configuration which uses what appears to be a "Remote API"
architecture with a client in Windows and a server in Communications Server
for something (except z/OS), Linux on zSeries in the diagram. There is an
onward SNA connection to CICS. This link can be absolutely anything with
supports SNA communication, for example, a channel-to-channel connection.
If it suits to use Enterprise Extender, perhaps over iQDIO HiperSockets
interfaces, so be it - but why - expletive deleted - insist on it? I smell
"suits"
giving pseudo-technical direction to the poor technicians.

Let's give the technicians some credit; they manage to slip in the following
phrase in print too small for a "suit" to read: "although other link protocols
can
be used for this connection."

Apart from Figure 3, the rest of the manual describes what is presented in
Figure 2.

- Figure 3 is a configuration which uses Enterprise Extender precisely
replacing
AnyNet SNA over IP as presented in Figure 1 - even if you have to turn your
head through 90 degrees - probably a dodge to prevent the "suits" noticing!

Now the technicians are obliged to say "This option is not described further in
this migration guide; however, the information provided is sufficient to help
you configure this option." Again the "suits" won't have bothered to read the
detail!

What nonsense!

Chris Mason

[1] Multiprotocol Transport Networking