One thing that should be mentioned off the bat is that Oracle has "stabilized"
their z/OS database offerings at version 10.2.  Oracle on other platforms are
at version 11.

You may ask, well why does it matter since we'll be running Oracle on Linux,
not z/OS.  But that's not entirely true.  You still need a client on z/OS to
communicate with the server on Linux.  I know of two options for doing this.

First option: Use Oracle for z/OS client (again, stabilized at version 10.2).
We have spoken with Oracle about this and it appears there should be no
problems using the 10.2 client on z/OS to communicate with a version 11 server.
 Any features that would require a version 11 client will not work.
Additionally, as Oracle upgrades their server to new versions I couldn't get
any guarantees that the version 10.2 client would still be supported for
connection to those higher level servers.  I imagine that you would also have
to recompile all z/OS programs using the Oracle precompiler (Pro*COBOL et al).

Second option: Use IBM InfoSphere Federation Server.  In this case you would
continue to run DB2 for z/OS.  You would use DRDA to connect to a Federation
Server running on Linux (or UNIX or Windows for that matter).  Federation
Server would, in turn, connect to your Oracle databases.  In this case you
would possibly not have to recompile everything, though probably some things.
You could, I imagine, continue to use all of your DB2 z/OS tools.  With DB2 in
the middle I would guess that there would be some functionality that you would
lose if it was not supported by Federation Server.

I guess a third option would be if your applications were Java you could
continue to use JDBC for your client, just using the Oracle JDBC driver instead
of the DB2 JDBC driver.  In this case I think you would not need either DB2
itself or the regular (non-Java) Oracle client.

We are in fact headed toward option 2.  Currently we are a VSE shop that uses
DB2 on VSE as a client to communication with a DB2 server/Federation Server
running on Linux.  Currently most of the tables we access from the mainframe
are in DB2 itself (on Linux), but we are migrating those tables to Oracle
databases and using the Federation Server (which runs "inside" of the DB2
server on Linux) to access them.  So far only two tables have been moved, but
things are going fine.

For us the main reason for going the Oracle route is that all of our J2EE and
Windows applications that have been developed over the last 15 years already
use Oracle, so the databases are already there.

On the other hand there is now DB2/LUW 9.7 which supports lots of Oracle
features to encourage migration from Oracle to DB2.  I personally am rather
interested in this, if only to take out the extra "hop" (Fed Server to Oracle).
 But since we are a relatively large Oracle shop I'm not sure migration to DB2
really makes sense.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  I would love to hear lots of discussion on this
topic!

Frank
--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

On 7/8/2009 at 7:49 AM, in message
<blu149-w50516d7912c8f37bac9e08a1...@phx.gbl>, Dave Salt <ds...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> A friend of mine develops applications using COBOL and DB2. To save money,
> management at his company is considering converting DB2 to Oracle. My friend
> is neither for or against the idea, but has some concerns about how this
> might affect him. I know nothing about Oracle or z/Linux, so I thought I'd
> pass his questions on and see if anyone on this list might be able to help
> him:
>
> 1) Has anyone ever gone through this, and if so did it actually save money?
>
> 2) Would z/Linux have to be used for application development, and if so how
> steep is the learning curve for someone who is used to using ISPF?
>
> 3) Do existing COBOL/DB2 programs need to be re-compiled; e.g. do any of the
> SQL statements have to be changed?
>
> 4) Would his personal JCL and Spufi libraries need to be converted? For
> example, if he has JCL that unloads records from a DB2 table, would he have
> to modify it to extract the same records from an Oracle table?
>
> 5) If conversion is required (whether it be for SQL in COBOL or for Spufi
> libraries or JCL libraries etc), are there any vendor tools that can help
> with the conversion?
>
> 6) Would different vendor tools be required for things like editing Oracle
> tables versus DB2 tables, and if so do most of the major vendors have tools
> available that are comparable to their DB2 tools?
>
> 7) Any there any tips/tricks/gotchas that anyone might want to pass along?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Salt
> SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
> http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

> Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9666046

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.