Timothy Sipples wrote:
Nobody so far has mentioned another factor: as you increase the
"distance" (latency) between applications and databases, CPU and memory
consumption increases on both sides. I call this phenomenon "proximity
effects." These proximity effects can be extremely large in many cases.

I'm also observing more and more organizations finally figuring out that
dis-aggregating existing architectures is exactly the wrong direction to
head. The management costs and service quality dimunition, in particular,
are just not worth it, and they're getting more costly every year. I find
I'm getting more and more enthusiastic about not making things more
complicated than they need to be, as a general rule -- indeed, to seek
opportunities for simplification. And more and more people seem to be
coming to the same conclusions nowadays.

Well, yes. That's why I have trouble getting excited about Web
Services. Talk about complicated.

Write the service code
Describe in WSDL
Register in some repository
When someone looks for the service, negotiate a price
Once accepted, let the requestor run the service
Bill me later

For goodness' sake: write your own subroutine and be done with it.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

==> Ask about being added to our opt-in list:              <==
==>   * Early announcement of new courses                  <==
==>   * Early announcement of new techincal papers         <==
==>   * Early announcement of new promotions               <==