Bri P wrote on 07/14/2009 06:49:02 AM:
> Can ICETOOL process variable-length fields where the length of that
> field is stored in another field in the dataset?
>
> TYPE 119, for example, (the one I'm trying to process in this
> instance) has a definition section at the front that describes, via
> a number of 'triplet' data items, the offset, length, and number of
> data sections that are in the record.
>
> In practice, I'm seeing that most of this is fixed anyway, certainly
> for the FTP server completion details that I'm trying to process,
> but the dataset name in particular is variable length. It is
> described by a triplet near the beginning of the record. The offset
> in that triplet seems to be actually constant, as does the number of
> occurences of the dataset name section, so I'm just using fixed
> positions in ICETOOL for these, but the two-byte length in that
> triplet is variable and is the length of the dataset name I need to
> pull out. Is this possible?
>
> I apologise if I've not managed to make this question very clear,
> but it's quite a complicated data structure, no idea why the
> designers wanted to do it like that, certainly not making it easy!

DFSORT/ICETOOL does not have any built-in functions for working with
triplets in SMF records.  It's possible you could do what you want with
IFTHEN clauses or using a "trick" of some kind, but I'd need to see
an example of the input records and what you expect for output before
I could try to help with that.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yae...@us.ibm.com
Specialties: FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, DATASORT, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/