-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List On Behalf Of Bri P
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:49 AM

TYPE 119, for example, (the one I'm trying to process in this instance)
has a definition section at the front that describes, via a number of
'triplet' data items, the offset, length, and number of data sections
that are in the record.

In practice, I'm seeing that most of this is fixed anyway, certainly for
the FTP server completion details that I'm trying to process, but the
dataset name in particular is variable length. It is described by a
triplet near the beginning of the record. The offset in that triplet
seems to be actually constant, as does the number of occurences of the
dataset name section, so I'm just using fixed positions in ICETOOL for
these, but the two-byte length in that triplet is variable and is the
length of the dataset name I need to pull out. Is this possible?

I apologise if I've not managed to make this question very clear, but
it's quite a complicated data structure, no idea why the designers
wanted to do it like that, certainly not making it easy!