> -----Original Message-----
> From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
> [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Schwarz, Barry A
> Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:01 PM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: code page help
>
> How do you telnet directly to OMVS?

I think he means telnet (not TN3270) into a UNIX shell prompt. This must be set
up separately from TN3270 and TSO. We do it by having a port which is monitored
by INETD. When a connection comes into this port, inetd spawns
/usr/sbin/otelnetd. This then presents a message to enter your userid, then
your password. That then spawns you UNIX shell command from the PROGRAM field
in your OMVS segment in RACF (or equivalent in ACF2 or TSS).

I, personally, consider this to be a "real" UNIX shell as opposed to TSO OMVS
which has a number of restrictions (such as no full screen capability).

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell