On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:09:14 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>How do you telnet directly to OMVS?

See the IP configuration guide:

2.2.2 Configuring the z/OS UNIX Telnet server

You setup otelnet in the inetd config.  You pick the port and usually define
that in /etc/services for otelnet.

>It's a different port, usually 5029 (I believe by default), where 29 is TSO
(again, I believe), but it's been so long since I've used, I can't recall
correctly.

AFAIK, there is no default.  The services sample in SEZAINST and
in /usr/lpp/tcpip/samples/ don't define otelnet  at all.

The most common convention is to use n23 as the port number since
23 is standard telnet.  Most shops I've been at use 623.  I think this
number could have come from some early samples, techdocs etc.
from IBM.  I've also been on a few systems that had otelnet set up
for 23 and MVS telnet setup at n23.

>But, check with your network people, as to the actual port number.

Or your Comm. Server sysprog.

>Then the IP address is usually of the form:
>
>10.xxx.yyy.zzz:5029 -- assuming my port number is correct.
>-

Using win-doze, I do this from a command prompt or run;

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 623

You get this prompt :

EZYTE27I login:  (enter userid)
EZYTE28I myuserid Password: