On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Denis Gäbler <denisgaeb...@netscape.net>wrote:

>  Taking the electric meter example. What if I install solar electicity
> panels? Am I stealing ressources and bypass the power companies meter? Am I
> not allowed to use the electricity that the panels produce, just because I
> have a contract with the power company? Or am I not allowed to replace the
> old lamps with energy saver lamps, just because I have a contract with the
> power company?
> Thats difficult. But I am not a lawyer. Just comparing.

No, but that's not a good analogy. The solar panels are more like offloading
work to an Intel or AIX box than running it on a processor that you were
sold at a reduced price under certain T&Cs.

I like the "medical power socket" analogy very much!

> By that definition any attempt to rewrite a CICS transaction to run parts
> of the work as SRB would be a violation, since that piece of software would
> likely not be eligable by the definition of IBM?! So with a PC example, do I
> have to ask Microsoft to write a software that speeds up the Windows bootup
> process and sell it?
> Or assuming that a software tweeks an operating systems control block to
> e.g. allow to run as zxxP eligable is considered violating some agreement,
> any software (e.g. delta VT or Omegamon or Mainview) that manipulates
> control blocks for ease of use or saving an IPL (which burns CPU and
> ressources) would be also considered unauthorized software, because rather
> than using documented APIs it changes bits in control? blocks of licensed
> IBM software and it might over a period of 12 months save you buying one
> additional CP?

The courts will (presumably) look at the result, which is pretty simple:
non-eligible work is running on a box that was explicitly sold *at a reduced
price* with Ts&Cs defining "eligible work". The zPRIME users are plugging
their TVs (or more likely their space heaters) into the medical socket.