Mary Anne

> Sorry, yes, I meant the VTAM screen. I refer to it as the USS screen, from
USSTAB.

No apology is needed at all. Rather a considerable apology is due from all
those who have so misused USS as so to mislead Howard Rifkind, Jim Horne
and Bruno Sugliani. You and a great many people refer to what you meant
with perfect accuracy as an "USS screen". More specifically the 3270 device
or emulator screen presents the USS message 10 at the time the
corresponding LU is activated. Unformatted System Services (USS) - as
opposed to Formatted System Services (FSS) - has been a feature of VTAM
since before it was a program product, in other words in the mid 70's - long
before UNIX System Services - and the names by which its predecessors were
known - was a twinkle in the eyes of its begetters. Because of Howard's
misunderstanding, we have been reminded that the birth of "UNIX in MVS" was
well over a decade later in the early 90's. If this were subject to some sort
of
legal process, the plagiarists would be paying hefty damages by now.

To be completely honest, I have to confess that specifically USS message 10
was *not* one of the suite of original USS messages and I cannot now
remember which release/version/flavour of VTAM introduced USS message 10.
It may have been as late as the early 80's but would still have predated the
pretender by a decade.

I am grateful to you for pointing out however inadvertently what a snare the
misuse of USS is. The widespread wanton use of USS when UNIX System
Services is meant trapped 3 contributors before 2 contributors spotted the
problem - even if one made a gross error in so doing!

I see some joker insists that USS means United States Ship. This is of course
nonsense when the context usually assumed for the IBM-MAIN list is z/OS -
and hoping that another joker will not be jumping in to insist that any zSeries
operating system is appropriate (which was the point of my "usually") - even if
some tangents can take us very far from the original subject!

Chris Mason