2009/7/21 Hal Merritt <hmerr...@jackhenry.com>:

> Google results show the Christmas Tree viral worm was in 1987 and affected
> PROFS running on VM/370.

December 10, 1987. PROFS had nothing to do with it except to the
extent that PROFS had turned many new and non-technical people into VM
users.

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=CHRISTMA&ft=PROB

But really, while this was certainly malware, I'm not sure I'd call it
"hacking", even in the bad sense of the word. It relied on
unsophisticated (or in those days, simply unsuspicious) end users to
run a program; there was no advantage taken of any hole in CMS, CP or
PROFS. So maybe social engineering, like today's phishing attacks.

> Not clear how this is relevant in a MVS/zos context.

Why does it have to be related to MVS/zOS? The question was "Does
anyone here recall any published news articles or incidents involving
mainframe hacking (any flavor of VM, VSE or MVS)?"

Tony H.