1) Only the sysprogs IPL with the different loadparm for the sandbox

2) Our operators do enter the load addresses for all other IPLs.  Only one
    icon per LPAR.  Loadparm changes temporarily during OS migrations, but
    the sysprogs usually do the first IPL and it is remembered.

We've had this discussion before I think.  With 30 LPARs at the shop
I'm at, and with anywhere from 3-6 different sysres sets that get
rotated between the various sysplexes, we would need literally
hundreds of different load profiles / icons and it would be a
maintenance nightmare.   Or the sysprogs would have to update
load addresses / loadparms for a profile as opposed to the operator
doing it at IPL time (which could be just as error prone).  So I
don't see this as risky and in all the time I've been at this client
on and off over the last 14 years there has never been an instance
of an IPL from the wrong address (maybe because a typo most
likely leads to a failure).

If an operator can't read the IPL instructions from a piece of paper (or
online) from a change record that specifies the load address and/or
loadparm and follow those instructions properly, then it's time to
find another operator.

I have worked in small shops with only a few LPARs where it was handled
the way you do it.   One size seldom fits all.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com