On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:45:43 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

>You have to be really trying to force a collision. A character
>such as right bracket would be extremely unlikely in data, ...

Doesn't this depend on one's data?  Wouldn't it be better if
the utility provided a protocol for quoting/escaping any pattern
that mimics a control sequence rather than placing the burden
on the programmer to guess an "extremely unlikely" pattern
and hope that "extremely unlikely" doesn't come to pass?

>> I hate JCL.
>
>It makes no sense to hate your tools.

Sure, it makes sense if one has learned of better techniques elsewhere.
I get paid well for my meager JCL skills.  The experience is nonetheless
unpleasant.  One can hate a shovel used to dig a trench when one
knows what could be done with a backhoe.

JCL is about 40 years old.  The art has advanced much since then,
yet IBM provides no alternative with similar capability but greater
ease of use.

-- gil