On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:03:07 +0000, Campbell Jay <james.l.campb...@irs.gov>
wrote:

>The solution in this case was stopping type 100 - 102 collection.
>Changing the Workload Management Class of the copy job to STCHI.
>
>The DUMPXY process caught up with itself in about 20 minutes.

My "SMFDUMP" jobs are also in STC SC with a high importance (2).  Almost
nothing is IMP=1 in my environment.    This is one of those problems you
don't have until you have it if you normally have spare cycles.  WLM
is funny that way.  :-)

We've never had a problem keeping up even during heavy periods, so
I still haven't implemented SMF logger  other than in sandbox systems
(that and the initial support for the dump process etc. would have meant
to many changes across a very large environment with many sysplexes).

There have been a few occasions were a looping DB2 process or MQ
trigger from a devl/qa region made it difficult to keep up, but we did.
We really need PFA in place with the SMF flooding warning for those
situations because no one realizes there is a problem most of the time
until SMF processing happens at night since all the dumps are automatic
vie IEFU29.   A couple of times there were more than 255 daily
GDGs created from offloads and we had to manually code the
volsers in MXG JCL.

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com