On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:54:22 -0400, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>>The reason is that we sometimes we get a deadly embrace where two SMFDUMP
>
>>issue those ENQs and then while the system is doing its 'I SMF' things,
>>it still scans the DASD despite that we do not record SMF type 19.
>>
>>In the end I need to cancel one of those SMF jobs, let the other run and
>>retry with possible loss of data.
>
>You wrote about "your" SMFDUMP program. What is that? The one provided by
>z/OS does not use that ENQ.

It is the old CBIPO SMFDUMP program that has been discussed many
times on this list.   A lot of shops still use as part of their daily
SMF roll up process as it issues an "I SMF" internally to get
the current data plus dumps any / all MANx data sets that
need to be dumped (in case any were missed or there is
no other process in place to dump them when they fill up).

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com