On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:18:34 -0400, scott <svet...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>On 06/21/2012 02:38 AM, R.S. wrote:
>> W dniu 2012-06-20 22:50, scott pisze:
>>> What is the difference between a System Address Space vs a Started Task
>>> Address Space?
>>
>> I think (and could be wrong) that the names are not precisely defined.
>>
>> Example of system AS can be XCFAS or PCAUTH or CATALOG.
>> Example of Started Task AS can be: CICSREG1, DB2 AS'es, VTAM, TSO.
>> Note: VTAM and TSO are parts of the z/OS, but they are considered as
>> started tasks.
>>
>> Another difference: D A,L show started tasks (and TSO users), D A,ALL
>> show every AS including system AS'es.
>>
>> My €0.02
>>

>> BTW: Why do you ask? Just curiosity, or ...?
>> Just curious. ;-)
>>
>Just curious and was wondering if there was an internal difference.
>Sure stated tasks are started via an operator command while system tasks
>are started by the OS.  But was wondering if there is some other
>internal difference.

I don't think "started by operator" covers the distinction of STC from "system
address space"  all the time, but I agree that it is generally true.

There is a distinction between full function address spaces and limited
function.
This should help...

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/IEA2E180/1.1.1?SHELF=ez2zo111&DT=20110614082539

mailto:m...@mzelden.com