On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 10:54 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:28:10 -0500, John McKown wrote:
> >
> >I was wrong. I got confused with GIMUNZIP. AMATERSE does not TERSE
> >groups of files or dynamically output the output file.
> >
> Hmmm.  I hadn't thought of using GIMZIP/GIMUNZIP as a general
> purpose archiving/transfer/restore utility.  Does its specialized
> design imply any restrictions?  Will it package PS files that
> aren't F80?  I doubt that it will do anything reasonable with
> z/OS UNIX (USS) files.  And it's a batch design -- no prompting
> for confirmation on replacing existing files.  And it still creates
> a hierarchy of directories which would further need to be
> wrapped (tar?) for transfer.
>
> -- gil

GIMZIP/GIMUNZIP is your dream come true or "one stop packing center".

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/gimrfr51/11.7

<quote>
The GIMZIP service routine creates portable packages of software and
associated materials. Typically the packages will contain SYSMODs,
RELFILE data sets, HOLDDATA, and associated materials such as
documentation, samples, and text files. These GIMZIP packages may be
transported through a network, processed by the GIMUNZIP service
routine, and then processed by the SMP/E RECEIVE command.

More specifically, a GIMZIP package consists of a single package
definition file, a set of archive files, and text files. The package
definition file describes the total package and identifies the archive
files and text files contained in the package. An archive file consists
of :

    a portable image of any of the following:

        a sequential data set
        a partitioned data set
        a VSAM data set
        a file in the UNIX file system
        a directory in the UNIX file system

    and the information necessary to reload the data from the portable
image.

A single GIMZIP package typically consists of several archive files.
</quote>

I think that "archive files" in that last sentence should be interpreted
to mean PAX archives, usually compressed (archive.pax.Z)

Example JOB here"

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/gimrfr51/11.7.3

--
John McKown