zedgarhoo...@gmail.com (zMan) writes:
> I've heard of folks who've fallen for this. What I can't imagine is the
> confluence of someone who I know well enough to blindly send money to AND
> think I'd be high enough on their list of folks to email AND wouldn't know
> that they were overseas already AND don't have someone I'd call immediately
> to ask "Have you heard from Joe?". Who has people in that category?!
>
> Mind you, if someone got hacked through browser spoofing in an Internet
> cafe *while overseas*, it would be a lot more plausible. The fact that this
> isn't the normal MO suggests that the much-vaunted browser spoofing isn't
> nearly as easy as folks make it sound...

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#47 Yahoo Password Breach: 7 Lessons
Learned - Security - Attacks/breaches - Informationweek
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#53 Yahoo Password Breach: 7 Lessons
Learned - Security - Attacks/breaches - Informationweek
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#54 Yahoo Password Breach: 7 Lessons
Learned - Security - Attacks/breaches - Informationweek

one of the issues is whether there is better low-hanging fruit

95-96 time-period ... there were industry presentations by dial-up
consumer online banking regarding motivation for moving to the internet
(top of the list was enormous consumer support costs for serial-port
dial-up modems ... being able to offload to ISPs). At the same time, the
dial-up commerical/cash-management online banking operations were saying
that they would *NEVER* move to the internet because of a long list of
security vulnerabilities (nearly all of which have since been seen).

the commercial operations eventually started moving to the internet
(anyway ... possibly loss of institutional knowledge in the industry)
and started seeing all the vulnerabilities that had been predicted. some
of this has shown up recently in court cases where business operations
have lost hundreds of thousands or millions from their accounts in such
attacks ... and they are suing the financial institutions for the loss
on the grounds of providing inadequate security.

recent posts in (linkedin) "Financial Crime Risk, Fraud and Security"
discussions:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#18 Zeus/SpyEye 'Automatic Transfer'
Module Masks Online Banking Theft
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#32 Zeus/SpyEye 'Automatic Transfer'
Module Masks Online Banking Theft
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#0 Federal appeal court raps bank over
shoddy online security
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#8 Federal appeal court raps bank over
shoddy online security

related news URL references:

Zeus/SpyEye 'Automatic Transfer' Module Masks Online Banking Theft;
Automated attack bypasses two-factor authentication
http://www.darkreading.com/authentication/167901072/security/attacks-breaches/240002267/zeus-spyeye-automatic-transfer-module-masks-online-banking-theft
Cyber crooks evading advanced bank security to transfer funds
http://www.scmagazine.com/cyber-crooks-evading-advanced-bank-security-to-transfer-funds/article/246227/
Exclusive: Online bank-theft software grows more sophisticated
http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-online-bank-theft-software-grows-more-sophisticated-080445057--sector.html
Online bank-theft software grows more sophisticated
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-online-banktheft-software-grows-more-sophisticated-20120618,0,278609.story
Fake Android antivirus app likely linked to Zeus banking Trojan,
researchers say; Cybercriminals are distributing a mobile component of
the Zeus banking Trojan as an Android security application, Kaspersky
experts said
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/061912-fake-android-antivirus-app-likely-260331.html
Federal appeal court raps bank over shoddy online security
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/070512-federal-appeal-court-raps-bank-260672.html
ENISA Warns Banks: Assume All PCs Are Infected
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ENISA-Warns-Banks-Assume-All-PCs-Are-Infected-279470.shtml
Court Slams Bank For Ignoring Zeus Attack
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/240003172
Zeus: How to Fight Back; Sophisticated Trojan Demands New Game Plan
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/interviews/zeus-how-to-fight-back-i-1592?rf=2012-07-06-eb
Cybercrooks preying on small businesses
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/06/cybercrooks-preying-on-small-businesses/