Karl,

You may be surprised to know that configs on at least two other DASD brands are
also loaded from a laptop. For HDS the SVP (Service Processor=Service Element)
is FRU that you can order. Has anyone tried to simply order and install a new
SE from IBM?

As for storing configs MF host storage, are you suggesting that IBM should
accommodate EMC and HDS configurations on the z10? And what would a
non-mainframe shop do for storage?

Just rhetorical questions mate. If you've ever built configurations for twelve
or more storage controllers from scratch you would know why a laptop (and  RDC)
are so convenient.

Ron