>From:    Mary Anne Matyaz <maryanne4...@gmail.com>
>[snip]
>David, the best way to submit a requirement is through Share. Anyone can
>submit a requirement.
> Share has a new website that you'll need to sign up for, but you don't have
> to be a Share member.
> http://reqs4.share.org/Reqs4Who.jsp  is the link to the requirements system.

I was hoping for an alternative to that route. Been there, done that, wasted a
lot of time. That site is *awful*.
The only thing positive I can say about it is that it's (slightly) better than
the previous one.

Really, I'm not really interested in totally rearchitecting the way
applications die -- I can cope with there being different ways to deal with
that. I just want z/OS to let me know that it got the shutdown initiated signal
from the hardware and I should start whatever I need to do to take down the
system gracefully.  I know the steps -- now all I need is the match to light
off the process.  Right now, z/OS is fat, dumb, and happy all the way to the
firing squad wall of data corruption because it can't see the firing squad
coming.

Historically, the z/OS folks have fought implementing anything that would play
nice with VM for various reasons, but this is hardware originated stuff. No
excuses, political or otherwise. At least raise a flag, or something...
printing a console message can't be THAT hard.