> From:    Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com>
> Couldn't CP PVMSG send something that automation could pick up? I realize
> it's a bit of a
> kludge, but it could do it: your z/VM automation would listen for SIGNAL
> SHUTDOWN and
> then signal the z/OS guest(s) using PVMSG.

I can see how that could work, but shouldn't z/OS be able to handle this
natively? I mean, it could get this signal in a bare LPAR, and it seems like
something it should handle as a defensive measure. It'd be a valuable defense
against "oops, I deactivated the wrong LPAR" by clumsy people.

It's also the usual argument that automation tools inside z/OS have access to a
lot of state information that would be hard to extract using VM-based
interfaces, and are a lot more in tune with this kind of stuff. Anything's
possible given enough time and code, but that sounds like a lot of time and a
lot of code.