But usually software developers don't sell copies of the software, they sell
licenses to use the software, and these are not normally transferable.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 10:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [z390] Anyone want Source code listing of last VSE program product
Supervisor?

There is a copyright doctrine called "first sale" that basically says that when
you buy a legal copy of something you can re-sell it as you wish. I would be
violating copyright law if I made copies of a Spiderman movie and sold them,
but I can legally sell the copy that I bought down at the video store.
(Generally -- this is a gross oversimplification of a complex legal issue). The
same is true for patents: generally you can't sell things that incorporate
technology patented by Ford, but you can sell your used Ford that does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

Not sure how the doctrine might apply here. You legally obtained a single copy
of this code. I suspect you *might* be entitled to dispose of it as you saw fit.

The issue is particularly complex for software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

Charles