On 8/3/2012 10:03 AM, Charles Mills wrote:
Hmmm. Not seeing errors from EC at the customer. I wonder if that REMARKS
line is somehow significant. (And Yes, I can test that and no I have not
yet.)

I will repost here the preceding lines, and also the lines I posted before
as Outlook+Listserve garbled it a bit.

          1         2         3    6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901...0123456789012
00017  AUTHOR.        JOHN DOE.
00018  DATE-WRITTEN.  JULY 1989.

00019  DATE-COMPILED.

00020 *REMARKS.
00021      '*******************   ************'
00022      '* VARIOUS COMMENT-LIKE TEXT      *'
00023      '* VARIOUS COMMENT-LIKE TEXT      *'

Charles

Since REMARKS is preceded by an asterisk in col. 7, it
is just a comment. The lines following are not set up
as comments, so they are not valid.

In earlier compilers (quite a few years ago), REMARKS
was a valid COBOL paragraph. When moving to COBOL II
or later, many companies just placed asterisks before
the existing content in order to leave the comments
in but make them conform.

Are you sure this code was accepted by the 4.1 compiler?