On 3 Aug 2012 10:09:02 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Ah! It is part of the "DATE-COMPILED." paragraph! . Let me test ... . It does
>compile! Why? Let's look at the LRM.
>http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/igy3lr50/3.1.6
><quote>
> The comment-entry in any of the optional paragraphs can be any combination of
> characters from the character set of the computer. The comment-entry is
> written in Area B on one or more lines.
>
>The paragraph name DATE-COMPILED and any comment-entry associated with it
>appear in the source code listing with the current date inserted. For example:
>

>     DATE-COMPILED. 11/30/07.
>
>Comment-entries serve only as documentation; they do not affect the meaning of
>the program. A hyphen in the indicator area (column 7) is not permitted in
>comment-entries.
></quote>
>
>So, everything after the "DATE-COMPILED." and in area B is ignored as a
>comment. The code certainly matches that description. Does this conform to the
>ANSI standards for COBOL? I don't know and won't pay $30.00 for a copy of the
>standards in a PDF document. I likely wouldn't understand them anyway. Likely
>as readable and understandable as the IRS tax codes.

It isn't worth the 30 dollars for the PDF but it is easier to
understand than the IRS (or CRA or Inland Revenue) tax code.   The
2002 version would probably make some of you as frustrated as I am
because the 2002 standard has USAGE BIT, bit manipulation, USAGE
BINARY-SHORT, BINARY-LONG, and various floating point usages normally
assuming the standard IEEE usages.  There also is EXIT PERFORM, EXIT
PARAGRAPH and EXIT SECTION.  There are SHARE requirements for their
implementation.  I could have used a number of the features 40 years
ago because three of the primary business files at my shop had bit
switches and the new EXIT constructs can eliminate convoluted code.
Since I have been retired since 2006 (open to contracts), I am not
current on things although I note that the latest COBOL manual has
little of the 2002 standard.

Clark Morris