From:   Art Gutowski <arthur.gutow...@compuware.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   08/15/2012 11:18 AM
Subject:        Re: ISPF Panel and LPAR name
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:51:47 -0400, Dave Salt <ds...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Customizing the ISPF menu (ISR@PRIM) can lead to problems if people
forget to
>update it when IBM makes changes to it. [...]

If you package your changes in a USERMOD, it's not a big risk.
Notwithstanding full system replacement deliveries, you'll know when it
needs to be reviewed.  At that, if you have even mildly astute system
programmers, this is reviewed and carried forward at upgrade intervals.

I never found this a hardship.  In my travels, FWIW, I got a lot more guff
from end-users being forced extra keystrokes and a front-end menu than I
did from fellow sysprogs who had to review one of a dozen or more USERMODs
once every year or two.  I've had more pitfalls with programmers
replicating and customizing panels in their own libraries - and there's no
stopping it.

If you're going to insert ISP@MSTR in front of ISR@PRIM, you'd do well to
notify and give your applications teams sufficient time to review and
update any batch ISPF jobs.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Compuware Corporation