The 10th edition of IBM Jargon, a semi-official publication edited by
Mike Cowlishaw, contains the definition:

<begin extract>
APAR (ay-parr). 1. n.  Authorized Program Analysis Report.  This is an
official report to IBM of an error in a program.  The acronym is used
so often that most people don't know what it stands for.  This is one
of the many acronyms whose expansion and meaning has changed with
time.   The group in Poughkeepsie th at wrote the early System/360
systems programs (compilers, sorts, etc.) were called "Applied
Programming" or "Application Programming", hence a request for
assistance was called an "Applied Programming Assistance Request."  In
the period between the demise of the 'Applied Programming"
organisation and the determination that "AP" could mean "Authorized
Program" the acronym was interpreted as "Always Process As Rush",
[This actually got printed on some forms.]   2, verb.  To make such a
report.  Note that only programs (and not microcode) can be APARed.
3, n.  A specific fix for a reported problem [an incorrect usage].
"I've applied all the APARs, but it still crashes."
<end extract/>

IT clarifies a recent thread here; and, in doing so, it also provides
a neat illustration of IBM's practice of jacking up acronyms to stick
something new under them.

Some historical perspective is of course needed.  Acronyms often turn
themselves into words, and confusion about their etymology is often
the result.  I discovered recently that none of my young-genius
students knew that 'cadaver' had been an acronym: CAro DAta
VERminibus, flesh given to the worms ==> CADAVER.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA